Thursday, April 1, 2010

Gluten Free Donuts: a first attempt

Life hasn't been very conducive to blogging lately. Between job hunting (which is consuming most of my time), going away to visit my family, and all those little things that crop up that must be done, I haven't had a chance to post. I'm still baking and cooking up a gluten free storm, though - that part of life doesn't change. Usually I'm in too much of a hurry to take pictures of what I make, so I'll just have to wait to make them again before posting the recipes.



I did take pictures of the donuts (more like "munchkins") that I made a couple nights ago, though. I decided it had been too long since I'd had donuts and was really in the mood for something deep fried. Hubs was very excited at this prospect (ooh, something DEEP FRIED!?) and offered to help. I didn't have a lot of time on my hands and didn't want to bother with yeast and letting it rise, so I looked around at alternative recipes.

After comparing 7 different recipes (no exaggeration), most of them gluten free versions, I found a very simple one in our Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook and decided to give it a try, making only a few changes.  They turned out very tasty, if a little denser than I would have liked. Another simple conversion from a "regular" recipe with a successful, tasty, gluten free outcome! I love those!

Best Yeast Free Doughnuts
adapted from Better Homes and Gardens (c. 1953)
4 beaten eggs
2/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup buttermilk (add a splash of white vinegar or lemon juice to make your own buttermilk. allow to sit for 5-10 minutes until the milk begins to curdle)
1/3 cup butter, melted
3 cups sifted Sorghum Flour Blend (35% sorghum flour, 35% potato or corn starch, 30% tapioca starch), or Flour Blend of your choice
3 teaspoons xanthan gum
3 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
oil for frying

Beat eggs and sugar until light; add milk and cooled shortening; Mix dry ingredients in a separate bowl; Mix dry ingredients with wet ingredients until smooth

Heat 1.5"-3" of oil to 375 degrees F (or use a deep fryer if you have one). While oil is heating, roll some Tablespoon sized pieces of dough into balls and set on waxed paper.

Once oil has reached the correct temperature, lower one or two of the dough balls into it at a time (I used a slotted metal spoon). The dough will take ~2 minutes to cook, and will usually flip itself when the first side is done. If the balls don't flip themselves, you can turn them with the spoon. They will be mid-dark brown on the outside. If they are too light, they may not be done in the middle. Add as many dough balls to the oil at a time as works for your size pan.

Repeat until the dough is gone, removing batches of doughnuts as they finish frying and setting them on a plate covered in a paper towel to absorb the excess oil.

Roll in powdered sugar or glaze, and eat! Store in airtight containers.

Note: The Sorghum Flour Blend is from Carol Fenster's 1,000 Gluten-Free Recipes. She makes 1 batch of the mix using 1.5 cups sorghum flour, 1.5 cups potato or corn starch, and 1 cup tapioca starch. This is one of my favorite gluten free flour mixes. It has a nice texture and a really nice taste.

1 comment: