Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Gorging myself on Pillsbury (& the like)

                                                (pssst.... this is what I've been eating lately)

So normally Hubs and I eat home cooked foods, and very very little pre-packaged processed foods. Well, that has majorly gone down the tubes since I started on the gluten challenge.  I've lost my will to bake from scratch, for at least two reasons: 1) I am so tired I don't feel like doing anything except the bare minimum & 2) all the recipes and ideas I want to try involve gluten free ingredients. I just don't derive the same joy anymore from cooking the old way, in part because I now have a mild phobia of wheat flour.

Plus, why not milk this for all it's worth? I've had 6 weeks to eat all the foods that had been off limits before.  At the beginning I was surprised at how hard it was for me to make myself bite, chew, and swallow these gluten-filled foods. I know, surprising! You'd think I'd be scarfing them down in ecstasies of delight. But I know how sick they make me feel, and that turns me off. Still, once I got going I started to enjoy re-tasting all the junk/fast food that ordinarily I can't eat. It's been a bit of a race to fit it all in.


Below, a smattering of what I've lived on for the past 5.5 weeks:


Bertucci's pizza tonight... (actually, TONS of pizza with regular gluten crust. I love pizza!)














Cinnamon buns!

 Ritz Bits used to be one of my favorite snacks...
Trader Joe's apple strudel















More pizza...

















more cinnamon buns... yes, there is  a theme here.

The Philly Cheesesteak...
 Sticky buns! (cousins to cinnamon buns)
Croissants.... I have to learn to make those gluten free.


 McDonald's Cheeseburger.








I only have 3 more days, including today, and I still have a few left. High on my list is the McDonald's Sausage, Egg & Cheese McGriddle... LOVE THOSE!


But after all this, I still won't be sorry to go back to gluten free. Feeling wretched and exhausted isn't worth it, and pretty much kills my appetite for the above items. I can hardly believe it, but it's true.

No comments:

Post a Comment